Indian men’s basketball team took on Cameroon as their 1st matchup in CWG 2018. Cameroon led by Robert Ngijol and Arnold Kome came back in an incredible 2nd half defeating India 96-87. Here are few takeaways.
1. India blew a 24-point halftime lead showing lack of energy and vulnerability in consistency.
2. They gave up 34 points in the 4th quarter and scored only tiring 11 points. The inability to execute in 4th quarters on both ends took them out of the equation and have become the scouters point of attack.
3. India shot only 61% from the line which showed their incapability of converting their maximum of 28 chances they had from the line.
4. They shot a healthy 45% from field including 40% from 3-point line which showed they don’t have rust. But these percentages faded away as they managed on 11 in the 4th and 24 in the whole 2nd half (they had 27 and 36 in both quarters of 1st half).
5. Indians also had 23 turnovers to just 7 from Cameroon. The lack of discipline and carelessness with the ball played a huge role in the comeback and them loosing.
India will play tough England in their next game. This will be a huge challenge for them as losing will surely kick them out of the contest.