Pro Kabbadi League (PKL) is all set to start by October 5, 2018 with huge expectations from the fans ahead of the new season. Twelve teams will be fighting for the title in the sixth edition of the Pro Kabbadi League. Bengal Warriors is one team to watch out for in this season which is to be led by Surjeet Singh. The Akshay Kumar owned franchise will be coached by Jagdish Kumble and will play from Netaji Indoor Stadium, Kolkata.
Bengal Warriors got some key players in their squad of 18 members. The retained members of the squad are Surjeet Singh, Maninder Singh, Ravindra Ramesh Kumawat, Amaresh Mondal. Bengal Warriors went on to the Player auction which was held on June at Bengaluru and acquired some quite interesting players to their squad. They acquired the services of players like Ran Singh, Jan Kun Lee, Ziaur Rahman, Shrikant Tewathia, Mahesh Goud, Vijn Thangadurai, and Amit Kumar. Bengal Warriors made sure that they mark their place in Top five international players by acquiring the services of Jang Kun Lee (Republic of Korea) for 33 Lakhs and Ziaur Rahman (Bangladesh) for 33.25 Lakhs.
Surjeet Singh © – Defender, Right Cover
Amit Kumar – Raider
Amit Nagar – Raider
Ashish Chhokar – Raider
Jang Kun Lee – Raider
Mahesh Goud – Raider
Maninder Singh – Raider
Mithin Kumar – Raider
Rakesh Narwal – Raider
Amaresh Mondal – Defender, Left Cover
Baldev Singh – Defender, Right Corner
Manoj Dhull – Defender, Right Corner
Vijin Thangadurai – Defender, Right Corner
Ziaur Rahman – Defender, Left Cover
Bhupender Singh – All Rounder
Ran Singh – All Rounder
Ravindra Ramesh – All Rounder
Shrikant Tewathia – All Rounder
Vittal Meti – All Rounder
Squad strength: 18
● SQUAD ANALYSIS:
Bengal Warriors will be led by their very own Surjeet Singh, who was retained before the auction which took place in Bengaluru. The squad looks well balanced having acquired the services of Raider Jan Kun Lee, who earned 89 raid points in his 21 matches last season. Raider from Republic of Korea’s highest raid points was 9 points in a single match.
Another foreign player who was bought for 33.25 Lakhs is Ziaur Rahman, who can provide a strong defence from the left side. He managed to get 20 tackle points last season in his 16 matches that he played. Most points that he grabbed was 6 points in a single game. Apart from this, Captain has played 24 games and gained 79 total points with an outstanding Not out percentage of 98.07%.
Vijin Thangadurai from Tamil Thalaivas is a good buy considering the right cover position. Another, All-rounder to be noticed in this squad is Ran Singh, one of the most successful defender for Jaipur Pink Panthers and he also breached the 50 Tackle points barrier in season 5 where he scored 52 Tackle points from 23 games.
● TEAM RATING:
○ Raid- 7.5/10
○ Defense- 8/10
○ All-round- 7.5/10
○ Overall- 7.6/10
● PREVIOUS SEASON PERFORMANCE:
Bengal Warriors showed some good performance last season both in raid points as well as tackle points. The franchise from Kolkata got 749 overall points in Season-5. They were also the ones who conceded 757 points taking the third position behind U.P. Yoddha and Patna Pirates. Considering raid points, Bengal Warriors got total of 455 points and the All-outs inflicted was 27 in the overall Season-5. Looking at this stats, Bengal Warriors would like to roar back again in Season-6 of Pro Kabbadi League.
• Tamil Thalaivas vs Bengal Warriors – Thursday, 11 October.
• Bengal Warriors vs Telugu Titans – Tuesday, 16 October.
• U.P. Yoddha vs Bengal Warriors – Saturday, 20 October.
• Dabang Delhi K.C. vs Bengal Warriors – Sunday, 21 October.
• Jaipur Pink Panthers vs Bengal Warriors – Saturday, 27 October.
• Patna Pirates vs Bengal Warriors – Thursday, 01 November.
• U.P. Yoddha vs Bengal Warriors – Sunday, 04 November.
• Bengal Warriors vs Telugu Titans – Friday, 09 November.
• Patna Pirates vs Bengal Warriors – Saturday, 10 November.
• Gujarat Fortune Giants vs Bengal Warriors – Friday, 16 November.
• Puneri Paltan vs Bengal Warriors – Saturday, 17 November.
• Bengaluru Bulls vs Bengal Warriors – Friday, 23 November.
• Bengaluru Bulls vs Bengal Warriors – Thursday, 29 November.
• Haryana Steelers vs Bengal Warriors – Wednesday, 05 December.
• U Mumba vs Bengal Warriors – Saturday, 08 December.
• Bengal Warriors vs Tamil Thalaivas – Friday, 14 December.
• Bengal Warriors vs Patna Pirates – Saturday, 22 December.
• Bengal Warriors vs Tamil Thalaivas – Sunday, 23 December.
• Bengal Warriors vs Telugu Titans – Tuesday, 25 December.
• Bengal Warriors vs Bengaluru Bulls – Wednesday, 26 December.
• Bengal Warriors vs U.P. Yoddha – Thursday, 27 December.
● AUTHOR’S TAKE:
Bengal Warriors has a good overall squad which can fight for the title this season with Surjeet Singh leading the side with some experienced campaigners. This squad has depth when it comes to Defense but can be questioned later in the season in the raiding department. This side can play the qualifiers and has full potential to reach the finals, if the team co-ordination clicks at the right time as a total unit.