Kolkata Giants SC East Bengal has probably found their 7th foreigner for the latest edition of Indian Super League. Though the official announcement is yet to come but it’s been a open secret that the English striker Joe Garner is all set to sign for the Red and Gold brigade in the next transfer window. After a 2-0 loss in their debut game in ISL against their biggest rival ATK Mohun Bagan, this transfer will definitely boost East Bengal squad for their upcoming matches especially when lack of a proper target man upfront was clearly evident.
As the Wigan striker is heading for the Kolkata based club there are five things that every East Bengal fan should know about Joe Garner.
- Joe Garner was born in Blackburn, England and he started his footballing journey as a youth in local club Blackburn Rovers where he scored a double hat-trick in one match against mighty Manchester United U-16. Blackburn Rovers is the only team in his career which was playing the Premier League while he is in the squad.
- Joe Garner was a fan of another Lancashire based club Preston North End FC in his childhood, attending some games of the club as a boy. Later he joined the club in 2013 as a senior team player and played his highest number of matches during his four years stay there. In this time he scored 49 goals in 129 matches out of his 122 goals in his whole senior career.
- Garner was in the top form of his career while playing with his favourite club. He scored 24 goals in 45 matches in the 2013-’14 season and was nominated the ‘Player of the year’ of Preston North End. Next year in 2014-15 season he bacame the ‘top scorer’ of the League One with 25 goals in just 37 matches electing himself for the ‘Player of the year’ award of ‘Football League one’.
- In 2016 he moved to Scottish giants Rangers FC in the middle of the season.Though the commencement of the season was devastating for him but from mid December he started adopting to the Scottish style of play and gradually became the fan favourite of the club. Rangers fan resorted a song named “Glad all over” by the band ‘The dave clark five’ to pay tribute to the English player.
- Garner is currently playing in the third division English club Wigan Athletic FC from 2018. Now he is the top scorer of the team with seven goals in this season. His former teammates in Wigan Danny Fox and Anthony Pilkington joined SC East Bengal last month. Danny Fox also led East Bengal in the Kolkata Derby.
Joe Garner has already appealed to his club Wigan Athletic for an early exit as per reports. But the English striker has to wait for one more month to be added in his new team as the next transfer window is about to start from January 1st. But there is no doubt that his arrival will surely strengthen the East Bengal side in this season as it would mend and address the issues the club is having in the attacking department. .